November 12, 2014 by Site Master
WordPress 4.0 New Release
On September 4, 2014, WordPress 4.0 “Benny,” named for jazz musician Benny Goodman, was released to the public.
Highlights of WordPress 4.0
Manage your media and embedded content with style
- Explore your uploads in a beautiful, endless grid
- WordPress 4.0 offers a new details preview makes viewing and editing any amount of media in sequence a snap.
The content-editing experience is better than ever with WordPress 4.0
- The visual editor in WordPress 4.0 now expands to fit your content
- A fixed toolbar in the editor when you scroll
- Embeddable content previews right in the visual editor
Better workflow for finding and installing plugins
- WordPress 4.0 has a new grid view adds some visual flair to finding and installing plugins, bringing relevant plugin info front and center
- Customizer Panels API
- Updated external libraries
- Better flexibility for WP_Query ORDER BY
What’s New in WordPress 4.0
General features in WordPress 4.0
- Featured image previews now support .bmp files
- Featured Image meta box is now hidden for contributors lacking upload capabilities
- New supported oEmbed providers: CollegeHumor, Issuu, Mixcloud, YouTube playlists, TED talks
- WordPress 4.0 allows you to install WordPress in your language
- Streamlined Language management right from the dashboard
Posts in WordPress 4.0
- Display embed previews for audio/visual URLs in Visual editor content box.
- Page scrolling now scrolls post content box.
- Edit Post/Page menu bar sticks to top of content box when scrolling (Visual and Text editor).
- Color picker was re-added to the Visual editor
- Add Media Grid view option (default) for Media Library
- Add “Bulk Select” button to Media Grid view to delete multiple items
- Add oEmbed support for TED talks, Mixcloud, CollegeHumor.com, Issuu
- Expand oEmbed support to include YouTube playlist URLs and Polldaddy’s short URL format
- Remove Viddler oEmbed support
- Update SlideShare oEmbed regex
- Improved media experience on small screen sizes (embedded videos are now responsive)
- Native video and audio shortcodes now support Flash playback looping
- Display plugins list as grid, with thumbnails, on Add New screen.
- Add popup window with plugin details (displays info from plugin’s directory page).
- Add “Beta Testing” tab to Plugins screen for new features-as-plugins.
- Improved keyboard accessibility in the Add Media panel
- Improved screen-reader support for Customizer sections
- Makes links in help tabs keyboard accessible
- Improvements for screen-readers when managing widgets in the Customizer
- Comments in trash can now be marked as spam.
Installing WordPress Process
- Add language select menu as first Installation screen (skipped for localized installs)
- mp4 file extension was added to allowed upload file types